18 November 2007

Big Boy Now

I've been tied up working on my mad big boy skills, and Mommy says it's that time of the semester, so I haven't had time to compose my updates, and she hasn't had time to help me post them. Plus, last weekend we made a quick trip to Chicago while both of my parents had two days off in a row. When you're a jet-setter like me, it's a whirlwind life; here's some of it:

  • I am developing like crazy into a full-fledged toddler. For example, for the first of several times this week, I have had access to my own bowl or plate (and not just been fed or had my food dumped unceremoniously on the table or tray in front of me) and I HAVE NOT FLIPPED MY DISHES OVER, NOT EVEN ONCE. For those of you who have been eating civilly for years, you may not appreciate this milestone, but trust me - it is huge. It takes every ounce of my just barely emerging self-control to keep from flipping over a plate or waving a bowl around in the air. But I'm doing it. Because I'm big like that.
  • My imagination is also in bloom. In the morning I like to spend some quality time with my baby (fondly known as "Baby"), patting him, talking to him, and trying to get him to take a sip from my overnight water cup. And I have taken possession of a box which formerly housed a trash can, has a hand-hold cut-out that makes a fine window, and is just big enough for me to crawl in and turn around a bit. It is now my personal space, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't knock while I'm busy playing fort, or I may have to reach out the window and scratch you.
  • I try out - and discard, at least for now - new words daily, but I'm really excited about action sounds. I love to make motor sounds (which I apply happily to both actual 3-D toy vehicles as well as 1-D representations, like my Nonna's puzzle-o-vehicles) and animal sounds, namely the cow ("nnNNNNNnnnooo!"), the sheep ("aah-aah-aah-aahhhhhh") and the dog ("unhhh! unhhh!").
  • As part of my increasing self-awareness, I've given myself a sign, or non-verbal name: I flap both my hands against my midriff to indicate that I wish to be the recipient of the action I've requested. A popular application is to hand a book up to my adult of choice, ask, "ook?," and flap my hands as previously described to request that person to read to me. The sign also has other uses, such as when my Daddy is eating an ice cream sandwich and I would like him to share it with me because it is so incredibly delicious I can hardly stand it and it is more than I can take to watch him eat one more bite without giving me a little and then a little more and more and more more more!!!! I do like a good ice cream sandwich.
While I go talk to Daddy about that ice cream sandwich, here are a few recent snaps of me, plus a rough movie of my Chicago trip:

I am finally old (and skilled) enough to play with the train table at Bela Dubby's. Mommy and I went there the other day while Daddy was sick so he could sleep in peace and she could do homework.



























A box of my own.

Peek-a-boo!


I've been focusing on bread quite a bit recently. Here, I was enjoying a nice chunk of whole wheat baguette with Nonna at Panera while Mommy sighed over my rejection of anything from any other food group.


Mommy and I bought me some frog boots the other day, so I can grind objects on the ground (as I dearly love to do) without getting my feet wet on rainy or snowy days. I'm still a little wobbly in them.


























Look at me! No debris!



I got to run free at Edgewater Park today. Mommy kept insisting I not put my pine cone in my mouth, so I asked Daddy to taste it for me.



























I was so enthralled by the mobile over the changing table in the family lounge at the mall that I insisted on immediately interrupting the diaper change in process to check it out. One of the nice things about being so big is that you can reach things like mobiles.


























The Chicago movie:


No comments: