22 June 2008

Famous Quotes

Hi, it's me - Milo! Mommy is finally done laying around with that vertigo thing, and The Summer of MiloTM has resumed. I'm getting ready to go on vacation, and since my secretary is back on the job, I thought I'd post a little update before I leave.

I have been talking up a storm the last few days, and not just that baby stuff I used to say. Here are some of my words of wisdom this week:

  • "Happy Birthday!" - Ever since I celebrated my cousin Bailey's birthday last week, I have been talking about birthdays and Bailey and my cousin Spencer and ice cream cake (wow, is that stuff great!). The other night, I was in Target with Mommy and Nonna, and after we paid for our stuff, I waved to the cashier and yelled "Happy Birthday!" to her. For some reason, Mommy and Nonna started laughing like I made a joke, but I think the cashier really liked that I was so nice, because she thanked me.
  • "Have fun!" - I love to tell people to have fun when they leave my house. I learned it from that book "Blue Train, Green Train" that I like so much.
  • "I drink it all." - I got this new kind of cup this week that has a straw in it and pictures of Diego playing soccer. It's a cup for bigger kids, and it holds more milk than any of my sippy cups. I used it for the first time today, and when I emptied it, I announced that I drank it all. Pretty complex sentence, huh?
  • "Read to?" - I ask this question when I hand a book to my parents. Sometimes, I'm more specific, as in, "Monkey George Milo read to?" (Sometimes word order is a little challenging.)
  • "Make a basket!" - I have a basketball at home that I like to bounce, but Nonna has a basketball hoop and three little basketballs that are made for the bathtub, and I got to play with them for the first time this week. The letter K is really hard to say, but the next morning, when I woke up, I was thinking about that basketball game, and I wanted to talk about it, so I concentrated soooo hard to tell Mommy, "Bas-KET-ball! MaKe a basKET!"
  • "It says 'Milo'!" - I now recognize my name when my parents write it for me. Does that count as reading? I also read "A-D-T" on a little sign in my neighbors' yard a couple of weeks ago. I can't wait to figure out all those groups of letters I see!
  • "Daddy working airport" - I came up with this gem just this morning in the car, after Mommy and I dropped Daddy off at work. I am an astute observer of daily life.
So that's it for my verbal highlights; here are some pictures:

For the first time ever, I got to squish some Play-Doh. Daddy showed me how to roll it so I could make a worm (whatever that is), and Mommy made me a dog, which I thought was cool.

When I was younger, I was legendary for my stellar behavior at the movies, but once I stopped nursing and started crawling really, really fast, I found it hard to concentrate on the screen. The last time I went to a theater, Mommy let me crawl up and down the ramp while she tried to watch the last of some movie, and by the time she gave up and carried me out, my shirt was so dirty we had to throw it away. That was about a year ago.

Lately, my parents have been talking to me about being old enough to watch a movie, if it was interesting enough, and if I went to a kids' movie, where there would be other kids making noise, and if we went to a matinee on a weekday, so maybe there wouldn't be anyone else there we would bother. When Mommy asked me this week if I wanted to go to a movie, I answered with a resounding "YES!" (when I say yes, I really mean it), so after my nap that day my parents took me to Tower City. I had a grilled cheese sandwich at the Greek restaurant, and then we went to see "Kung Fu Panda". It had a bear, and some geese, and a monkey, and two tigers. Sometimes they fell down, which I noted loudly to make sure everyone present understood it. There was also some cheering and clapping, which I really enjoyed.

According to my parents, the best part was that I didn't even think about doing anything other than watching the movie until it was about half over. At that point, my parents strapped me into my booster chair we brought from home, and I had some raisins, and then I wrote for a while on my doodle board, plus I watched the movie off and on, too. I was only really antsy, trying to get down to check out the floor and asking my parents to pass me back and forth, for the last ten minutes of the movie. My parents were frankly surprised at how well I did. They told me they were really proud of me. Here's a picture of Daddy and me watching the previews:

Today, Mommy and I dropped in at Oma's house to surprise her, and we were surprised to find Bailey already there! After I went out back to see Ono, I went in and watched some TV while Bailey finished her waffle, and then we played a bunch of stuff with Oma, liking cutting animal shapes out of Play-Doh and crawling inside of the tent she made over the kids' table. When we started to get worn out, she asked us to climb up on her two buckets, and then she read us a ton of good books.



Next time I post, I'll be on the road somewhere. I'm not sure where, exactly, but I've been practicing saying "hola" and "gracias" and I hope I get to use them.

No comments: