01 August 2007

Flashback

You know me as the fun and social guy I am today, but life wasn't always like this. I used to be a loner, hanging out inside of Mommy; sure, it was dark all the time, but I didn't have vision for a while anyway, plus I didn't know any differently. And there was the added benefit of getting to swim all the time and never having to get out of the pool.

Then one day, I was minding my own business when all of the sudden - Boink! - I felt something jabbing me. Curious, I swung my arms around to find what it was. Up until then, the worst thing that had ever happened in my world was that the pool was getting a little small for swimming laps; I had no idea what might cause me such pain. Then - Boink! - it got me again, right on the arm. Now I was really mad and started hitting that long, thin, pointy thing with all my might until it went away. I showed it who was boss! Finally I was free to kick back and take another nice nap and...Boink! It poked me in the arm again! It is really hard to sleep when your arm is getting scratched by a needle, let me tell you, but after the third time it finally left me alone, and everything got back to normal.

Then a little later, things started to get a little sketchy again. The walls started to push in on me, and I decided I had better get out while the getting was good. I swam as hard as I could toward the exit until someone came along and drained the pool, leaving me stuck. To add insult to injury, another one of those needle things jabbed me in the head, and this time it wouldn't go away. Once that happened, I got busy squeezing my way out so I could give someone a piece of my mind.

When I finally got to peek outside, there were these two giant people with dark curly hair looking back at me. One of them helped me get my shoulders unstuck and pulled me out of that crazy place that was caving in on me, and the other one (who turned out to be Daddy) cut the cord that attached me to Mommy. I was sad to be separated from Mommy until the first giant laid me on top of Mommy, and I was so relieved I relieved myself all over her.

That was one year ago today, at 8:33 am. The rest, as they say, is history.

6 comments:

Chef Matt said...

Milo-
Happy Birthday! Loved the retrospective. Man, you have grown up so much.

Maggie said...

I forgot that you used to be as little as me, not that I knew you then. Happy Birthday!

kate said...

Happy birthday, Milo!

Catherine said...

Happy Birthday kiddo!

Anonymous said...

Milo, I am simply amazed at all you have experienced in your year-long journey. Your growth has been pretty phenomenal and each time I see you, you have new suprises. What a joy it has been to experience the year with you. Happy 1st birthday!

Chris, Renae & Annie said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!