14 April 2007

The Long Version

Where to begin? I've covered so much ground since last I posted - about 607 miles, according to the rental car odometer - but here are the highlights:

  • On Tuesday, I stayed with Lori, a nice Canadian lady, who took me for a walk on the boardwalk and up to the roof to watch the birds and the sunset. My parents went to the Late Late Show taping, where they barely got in (106 and 107 out of 113 seats). They saw Good Charlotte (taping segments to air another night), Quentin Tarantino (more geeky but less weird than he seems on screen), Laura Prepon (much prettier in person than on TV) and journalist Boyd Matson (one of three famous/semi-famous alumni of Mommy's alma mater, the other two famous alumni consisting of opera singer Robert Hale and former senator/presidential candidate/sailor Gary Hart). After dinner, they had a me-free dinner at World Cafe in Santa Monica; I don't know why they enjoyed it so much, but I heard they did.
  • On Wednesday, we went to the Watts Towers. My parents loved the art, but I just loved walking around with them and all the birds there. After burritos for lunch, Daddy and I hung out while Mommy did some shopping, and then we drove through the hills above Malibu and checked out the beach there. Malibu has 27 miles of beaches, but it's hard to access any of them. Easier to access are the roads above town where huge villas hug the mountainsides and Pepperdine University's campus eats up a huge chunk of the view. We walked through a sandstorm to meet Lisa and Sharon for dinner, but it was too late for me, I decided, and Daddy and Mommy had to take turns eating and walking me in the garden outside Siamese Garden.
  • On Thursday, we loaded up our car and headed up the coast to San Luis Obispo. Along the way, we listened to a trip-specific playlist, beginning with The Decemberists (because they're from Portland, a future stop on this trip) and kicking it off with their song "Los Angeles I'm Yours" as we got on the 405. As we pulled out of the city, we switched to Long Beach's Russian Surf-rockers The Red Elvises, and then we moved on to Elton John's "Songs from the West Coast" and the soundtrack from the Curious George movie (because it's from a movie, and movies mostly originate in Hollywood, and because it's mostly by Jack Johnson, who is from Hawaii, which is in the Pacific, along which we are traveling). I had my lunch at a rest stop in the mountains just north of Santa Barbara, and I was digging the wind, which was so strong it almost blew my bowl away. In San Luis Obispo, we checked out the weekly Thursday evening farmer's market along Higuera Street; my parents had jalapeno tamales and belgian frites and roasted corn on the cob but I got squat. At least they went toy shopping: they got me an activity center that I cannot get enough of and a crab with googly eyes that plays music and spins around when I hit its back. Mommy and Daddy think it will motivate me to crawl after it; we'll see.
  • Today we drove to Morro Bay and saw the big rock (but no otters - maybe it was too cold for them?), then back to Atascadero and up the 101, where we saw miles of spinach and kale and grapevines and olives. Tonight we made it to Randy and Jenny's place, where they are graciously letting me break-in their new crib, decked out in Dr Seuss decor. I had my summer vegetable blend and carrot wheels at a vegetarian Chinese restaurant in Milpitas while everyone else had veggie orange chicken and lamb curry and fish in bean sauce and salt and pepper tofu. I crashed before we got home. I hope to sleep well tonight. I just hope my parents don't wake me up.

No comments: